Saturday, January 12, 2013

Noah's Great Big Black Eye

Back at the end of November, the 25th to be exact, I was sitting and listening to a wonderful lesson in the Beehive class, when I heard crying out in the hall.  I thought it sounded an awful lot like Noah, but he loves nursery and wouldn't be crying out in the hall.  But it sure sounded like him, so I snuck out and there were two of the nursery leaders out there trying to find which classroom I was in because it was Noah crying.  I couldn't tell why until they handed him to me and I got a good look at his face and he had a golf ball sized lump above his eyebrow.  Literally - and I am using that word correctly here.  I am sure my heart skipped a beat because it looked awful and I had no idea what to do.  They explained that he had tripped and fallen and hit his head on the corner of the table in nursery.  I wasn't sure what do to, so I grabbed my stuff and headed home.

I called anyone I could think of who might have later church (or no church) that had some kind of medical background to tell me what to do about the bump or what to look for in case of concussion.  No one answered so I turned to the trusty internet, where you can read all sorts of interesting "medical" information.  After deciding he wasn't going to die, despite several alternate theories, I did the only thing I could do, and tried to put something cold on the big lump.  But Noah was only 19 months old and of course, didn't want anything cold on his very sore head, so we just sat and watched tv.  After awhile he fell asleep on my lap (yes, I had looked up concussions online, and yes, I know you are not supposed to let them fall asleep if that is a possibility, but he had no other symptoms and he was on my lap where I could keep an eye on him).

Noah had a hard time sleeping at night for the next few nights, because he apparently sleeps on his face, and the golf ball on his eyebrow was hindering that.  But after awhile, it must have looked worse than if felt because he didn't act any worse for the wear.  Just for anyone who wants to know - something like that will leave a black eye for almost three weeks!  I took a few pictures to chronicle the progress.

Day 1


  Day 2                                                             Day 4
 


Two weeks later  . . . still colorful, but looking so cute in a sweater made by Grandma June

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The healing powers of the human body are amazing! He is so cute!

Mom