Friday, August 24, 2012

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease. Twice!

Both my boys got Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease at the end of July.  It started with a terrible fever and a Noah not wanting to eat.  I hadn't heard of this disease before this summer, but apparently it was going around.  I didn't think we would get, but I thought Noah might have ear infections so we went in to the doctor.  Sure enough - he had it.  The spots on his hands, feet, knees, and bum started the next day. Just as Noah was getting all better, Davis started.  But when it was all over, I thought, "Phew!  All done with that!"  The doctor had told us we would most likely only get it once.  Ever.

Then this last Sunday, Noah had a terrible fever and wouldn't eat.  II took him to the doctor the next day, thinking ear infections again, because surely it couldn't be that awful thing we already went through.  Sure enough - Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease.  Again.  And right when we were supposed to be in Bear Lake.  Darren and Davis went up Sunday afternoon as planned while I stayed home and held my miserable little boy.  After the doctor's visit Monday morning, Noah and I went up because I couldn't bear to miss my trip to Bear Lake.  Kim, Jeanette, Nic, and little Max were already up there and said they didn't mind me bringing my sick boy, especially since his fever was gone and that was the most contagious time.  But Noah was still miserable, so Darren took Noah home Monday night and I stayed with Davis so we could go to the beach again Tuesday morning.  Guess who came down with a terrible, miserable fever during the night.  Davis.  So I did what I could to help him feel better while we packed up and went home early, instead of the beach.  At least they were sick more at the same time this time, instead of spreading it out.  No spots this time, but the first day or so was much more miserable. It looks like they are feeling better, sooner, so that is good.  But I suppose I will always remember the trip to Bear Lake that was . . . well, not really ruined, but inconvenienced greatly, by the second round of Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease.

This is my sick boys enjoying a soothing smoothie in the kitchen.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

They were both such lucky boys to have a mother who loves them and hugs them and loves them when they are sick - twice!

Mom