Thursday, August 23, 2012

Noah Decided to Walk!

Davis was a little past 16 months before he took his first steps.  But when he did, it was only a matter of days before he was walking all over the place.  Noah, as usual, decided to do it a little different.  Not sooner.  Just different.

Noah took his first few steps on July 2 (14 1/2 months old), when we were in Park City with Darren's family.  He was very cautious and only took one or two steps at a time.  But when he got back home, he refused to walk at all.  I would force him to let go of my hand and instead of taking a few steps by himself, he would sit right down and cry.  I would reach down to help him up and he would grab onto my finger with a vice-like grip and happily walk away, with me in tow.  We got him to walk back and forth between me and Darren at Nana and Bumpa's house a few times, to much applause with each round.  And once I got him walking around the living room, from me to the couch and back again.  But for the most part, there was no walking.  If we tried to  . . . help him practice, he would just sit down and cry.

But then, when we were up in Star Valley (Aug12, 16 months old), again with Darren's family, Noah just seemed to decide, "I think I will walk now."  And he did.  He just started walking all over the motel room we were in.  And when we got home, he just kept walking.  He lifts his feet up extra high and holds his arms out to his side, as if balancing on a high wire. Whenever he got to his destination and had a little support, he would clap for himself and look around to make sure that anyone who had seen him clapped, too.  Sometimes he would clap for himself while he was walking and that would throw off his balance and he would land on his bum.  Then he would look around to see if anyone was watching and whether or not he ought to cry.  When my parents were here to visit last weekend, Noah started walking laps through the living room and kitchen.  He just kept walking in circles, pausing when someone got in his way.

I love to watch him walk.  He is just so pleased with himself and he seems to love that fact that he can get around easier.  Noah is still my baby, but I do love to see him accomplish new things!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad we were there to see him walk last weekend! He is adorable!

Mom