Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Whose kid is screaming down the isle? Mine.

Last Sunday I had to give a talk in Sacrament Meeting.  I asked Darren if he would be ok with the boys if I sat in the front for the whole meeting and he said yes, so up I went.  Darren ended up out in the hall with Noah, who was fussy and Davis who followed happily.  I went last and I saw Darren, holding Noah, and Davis come in at the very back so they could watch me give my talk.  And before I got more than two words in, Davis had raced to the front of the chapel, climbed the stairs, and looked over at me with a huge grin on his face.  So I said hello to him (the congregation laughed) and he turned around and started running back down the isle.  But he lost his shoe coming down the stairs and instantly started freaking out.  Crying and running blindly to the back.  He was terrified because he couldn't see Darren, so Jackie (Darren's mom) grabbed him to try to help him get back to Darren, but that isn't what he wanted.  And the whole time I was standing at the microphone speechlessly watching.  Finally I said, "Sorry.  I'm a little distracted." Not to worry - so was everyone else.

"He lost his shoe up here," I said into the microphone, so that Jackie would know why he was crying.  A nice little girl picked up the shoe and took it back.  Jackie carried Davis back to Darren and then took Noah out so Darren could hold Davis.  Davis calmed down.  And I finally regained my brain and went on with my talk.  I got sympathy pats on the arm and "That was a nice talk," said with the head tilted to the side after the meeting.  I don't think they will ask me to speak again for awhile.

1 comment:

Kim said...

That sounds hilarious. It may not have been funny to you at the moment, necessarily, but it sure makes for a great story!

(Don't worry, you can remind me of how "funny" my mothering stories are when I have kids.)