Friday, March 11, 2011

A Sweet Sonnet to the Things I Love

Not so much a sonnet, but let me tell you about the things I love today:

* Granola Bars. Weird, I know. I was talking with my sister-in-law and we decided they are the best snack ever. Because they can count as a meal (if you are not my husband). Individually wrapped for portion control. Not squishable for stashing in bags on day trips. Not much of a choking hazard for toddlers. Very unmessy (unless you buy the kind with chocolate - and let's be honest, who doesn't - and it melts and you don't remember it is in the bar until it is all over your kid's hands and face). A million different kinds and flavors and ingredients. No need to refrigerate.

* Sunshine. You know that song, "I believe I can fly. I believe I can touch the sky . . . ) That's how I feel today with the sun shining and the warmer weather.

* M & M's. Not messy. Chocolatey. You can eat a little or a lot, depending on how the day has gone. You can put them in things and increase the goodness of that other thing by 100% . We put them in chocolate cookies last night. Chocolate cookies are good. Chocolate cookies with M & M's are fantastic. Same for trail mix. And granola bars.

* Crisp, clean sheets. Not that mine are especially crisp or clean. But the sunshine makes me think of how nice it is to climb into bed at the end of a day of playing outside, with summertime pj's on and have clean, yummy smelling sheets. Maybe it was a day at the beach and you get home and shower and climb into bed with damp hair and you can feel the sheets against your sunkissed skin. Man, I'm making myself jealous!

* The satisfaction of putting a good meal on the table. (I know this is on the opposite end of the scale from my last post, but hey, I am a hormonal, pregnant woman and my moods can change whenever they want.) You know those evenings when the main dish turns out better than you expected and you get a delicious veggie on the plate and possibly another side dish so it looks like the plates of food on cooking shows? That's satisfaction. Even if I did nothing else in the day, but dinner turned out great, then it was a productive day. I had one of those meals a few nights ago; breaded pork chops, roasted butternut squash, and baked potatoes. Not so much last night; Bisquick waffles. Tasty, but no sense of satisfaction.

3 comments:

melanie33 said...

ah, crisp clean sheets.... I remember those. Those are nice. I have high hopes of being reunited with them again soon, like within this decade.

Kaija said...

ha ha! I love it! Oh I think waffles can be on a cooking show! and I too love crisp clean sheets with good smelling dryer sheets...that's perfection!

Anonymous said...

I love all of those things too! It's fun to write these things down and count your many blessings!

MOM