Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Sight Seeing In Ferron

My paternal grandparents lived in Ferron, Utah while I was growing up.  (That's in central Utah for those who have never even heard of Ferron.)  I have very fond memories of coming up the hill into Ferron late at night, after a very long 5 hour drive, turning the corner by the park, and pulling up to my grandparent's home where the kitchen light was shining out the window.  My grandma would have homemade chicken noodle soup ready for us after we hauled all our bags into the back bedroom.  We spread out throughout the house to sleep in sleeping bags or under blankets, on the couches or the basement floor.  I most often slept on the couch in the living room upstairs, with a sleeping bag that just buttoned instead of zipped.  We spent a lot of time playing with cousins out back under the fruit trees or on the swing set.  Sausage gravy and biscuits were a staple for breakfast.  Never since then have I tasted sausage gravy as good as my grandpa made.

Now, we are a generation older and I am taking my children to visit their grandparents in Ferron.  My parents moved there last January and built a beautiful red brick home, just behind the house I visited my grandparents in.  I love the whole continuity. . . circularity (not sure if that is a word, but it describes best what I am trying to say) . . . of it all.  These trips are different; shorter drive, more explorations of the area, different house, I am the parent instead of the child.  But they still emit wonderful feelings of tradition, family, and love.

Most of our family spent Labor Day weekend together in Ferron this year.  It was one of my favorite vacations because of the exciting places we discovered.

My dad took us up into the mountains west of Ferron to show us the beauty he grew up with.

The next day we went south of Ferron and hiked to see some awesome petroglyphs found at the Rochester Rock Art panel.
 After that, we drove along the Moore Cutoff Road and found more petroglyphs and some dinosaur tracks on a huge slab of rock (upper right photo).  I loved "discovering" such cool things!  (Ok, we weren't the first at any of these places, and my brother-in-law, Nic, actually found the dinosaur tracks.  But I was still very excited.)

The next day we went east of Ferron and visited The Wedge, nicknamed "The Little Grand Canyon."  It was beautiful!  Such dramatic scenery!  We also visited the nearby Cedar Mountain.


Thanks to my parents who played host, guide, and child-entertainers!  We had a fantastic time!

P.S.  Because Noah slept through many of our adventures, I feel like I owe him one random picture just because he is so cute.  This pic shows him in the Bumbo we are borrowing from my sister until she has her baby.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Creating priceless memories that bind families together. That's what it's all about.

MOM

Kim said...

Great recap of a wonderful weekend! And I love your description of visiting Grandma and Grandpa's house; it brought back some great memories!